It can be a bit tricky sometimes, food blogging.

During a particularly lovely bout of daydreaming about exotic places last week, I had an idea – Laksa!

I quickly researched traditional ingredients, brainstormed some changes, told my Lovebug to get his belly ready, skipped to the shops and back, and whipped up a pot with excitement.

Only…  the finished product was lacking.

Oh it was okay – Food Hall standard – but life’s too short for just okay food, right?  Forget those bland soups and crappy noodles – we want awesome, fresh food that makes us feel nourished and happy to be alive!  Sing it with me, sista!

The next morning dawned sunny and bright and I knew what I had to do.  Thankfully, when my Lovebug asked: ‘What do you want to do today?” and I replied: “Make Laksa!”, he just laughed and went along with it.  He’s pretty awesome like that.

The second time (and night in a row!), the Laksa was magical.  Hot, spicy, sweet, tangy and oh so satisfying.

And the best part?  You can freeze the spice paste and then next time you fancy a delicious, exotic, daydream-worthy soup, you can just take the paste from the freezer, throw it into a big pot, add the rest of the ingredients, and have dinner ready in less than 15 minutes.

Take that, Food Hall. 🙂

xx

Easy Vegan Laksa

Easy Vegan Laksa

From the kitchen of:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Goodies
  • 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 2 tbsp Sesame Oil (or more Coconut Oil)
  • 4 cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
  • 3¼ cups Organic Coconut Milk
  • 1 tsp Tamarind Concentrate/Paste
  • 50 ml Tamari Sauce (or Soy Sauce if gluten is not an issue)
  • 50 ml Fresh Lime Juice
  • 2 cups Capsicum/Peppers (any colour), cored and sliced
  • 1 cup Baby Corn, quartered (or any other Asian veg you prefer)
  • 5 Spring Onion, sliced
  • 300g Firm/Hard Tofu, drained and chopped into bite-sized cubes
  • 200g Rice Noodles (any kind you like)
Spice Paste
  • 6 Garlic Cloves, peeled and chopped
  • 1inch/2.5cm knob Ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 4 Red Chillies, chopped (less if you don't like spicy food but the coconut milk really tames down the spiciness)
  • 2 Lemongrass stems, white part only, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp ground Turmeric
  • 5 Kaffir Lime Leaves, finely shredded (from a jar is fine if you can't find fresh)
To Serve
  • 1 handful of Bean Sprouts
  • 1 handful of fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped
Instructions
  1. Soak noodles in a large bowl of hot water for 30 minutes to soften.
  2. Meanwhile, assemble all Spice Paste ingredients in a food processor and pulse/process until it forms a chunky paste.
  3. In a frypan over medium-high heat, shallow fry tofu in 2 tbsp Coconut Oil until just golden brown. (Don't let it cook for too long or the tofu will become too chewy. This step is optional - you can add the tofu directly to the Laksa later if you prefer but pre-cooking does give the tofu a lovely texture)
  4. In a large pot or frypan over medium heat, stir fry Spice Paste in Sesame Oil until fragrant (a couple of minutes).
  5. Add Coconut Milk and Vegetable Stock and bring to the boil.
  6. Add Capsicum/Peppers, Corn, Spring Onion, Tofu and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
  7. Add Tamarind, Tamari and Lime Juice. Allow to simmer for another couple of minutes, then remove from heat.
  8. Drain noodles and divide among 4 bowls.
  9. Spoon Laksa over the noodles, garnish with Bean Shoots and Coriander, and enjoy!

Easy Vegan Laksa

24 Comments on Easy Vegan Laksa

1. The Dame Intl
    May 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm (5 years ago)

Yay! Another recipe from you! And my favourite Thai curry too! Laksaaaaaaa! YUM! I actually have most of the ingredients apart from tofu and tamarind sauce but gonna make it anyway tonight 🙂

Thank you Bex!

2. The Dame Intl
    May 11, 2013 at 4:19 am (5 years ago)

OH MY GOSH! So I made this for supper and it is effing LLLLLLLUUUSSSSHHHH!!!!! XD So divine and I didnt have lemongrass like I thought I did but it tasted amazing anyway. Think this might be my signature dish from now on cos I just love Thai curry’s, Panang, Massaman… Takes me straight back to Thailand every time 🙂

• * Vegan Sparkles *
      May 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm (5 years ago)

Oh YAYYY, so happy you loved it, beautiful! So easy if you pre-make the paste, too – great for a dinner party to impress the friends. 🙂

3. The Dame Intl
    June 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm (4 years ago)

Making this again right now! XD

4. alessandra
    October 12, 2013 at 3:15 am (4 years ago)

hi! what a nice blog! I’ve just tried this laksa, it was since i were in malaysia, five years ago that I hope to taste it again.. and finnally, thanks to you, I decided to try.. W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!!! As I didn’t have any tofu I used pumpkin chopped into little cubes and fried in coconut oil just like tofu and added 5 mins before the end. Very, very nice. Thank you!!
    I live in the middle of Europe, here weather is not one of the bigger attraction, cold and misty, but this meal brought sun into house!
    Alessandra, Luxembourg ville

• * Vegan Sparkles *
      October 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm (4 years ago)

Oh I’m so happy to hear that, Alessandra! It has such a warming effect, doesn’t it. 🙂 I’m so happy to have you here. x

5. Gina
    October 24, 2013 at 11:37 am (4 years ago)

I have a question about the coconut milk. Is this the thick canned variety or thin boxed type?

• * Vegan Sparkles *
      October 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Gina. I only ever use the canned variety and only organic – it’s so much silkier and creamier. 🙂

6. Jaimee
    April 7, 2014 at 10:21 am (4 years ago)

Love the sound of this! All the other recipes I looked at asked for a pre-made laksa paste which just isn’t available at my local supermarket. Do you have a Pinterest account I could follow?

7. nickedwardlawrence
    May 1, 2014 at 3:07 pm (4 years ago)

Hello!
    I was desperate to make this and rushed out to a smallish store that is open after regular trading hours and with only a limited range. I picked up minced keffir lime leaves in a jar and minced lemongrass in a jar (I usually hate not using fresh ingredients but I was desperate). What ratios of each do you think I should use to get the desired flavour? Thank you heaps!
    Also found your blog only the other day and loving it so far!!
    – Lucja (I was too lazy to get out of my partners account)

• Vegan Sparkles
      May 3, 2014 at 10:47 am (4 years ago)

haha, I love it, Lucja! And welcome. I’m so happy you found me. 🙂
      About 5 tsp of the keffir lime leaves and 3-4 tsp of lemongrass should do it nicely. x

• nickedwardlawrence
        May 8, 2014 at 12:29 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much! Looking forward to more of your wonderful posts 🙂
        – Lucja

8. Julsmann
    May 2, 2014 at 9:53 pm (4 years ago)

Brilliant recipe, thank you very much! Just battling off the end of a cold and this toasted me up and cleared out the sinuses. Loaded in a bit more chilli and it was divine. So cheap to make at home, the flavour in the homemade paste just knocks your socks off. Not sure if I will try to find a vegan laksa out of home for a very long time. Singin’ it with ya sista!

• Vegan Sparkles
      May 3, 2014 at 10:48 am (4 years ago)

Oh I’m so happy to hear it warmed you up and helped with the healing, Juls! Here’s to delicious food as medicine, always. 🙂 x

9. Cecilia
    July 1, 2014 at 7:03 am (3 years ago)

I tried the recipe last night and impressed myself with the results!!! Thanks very much.

• Vegan Sparkles
      July 1, 2014 at 10:14 am (3 years ago)

haha, oh snap! I had it for dinner last night too, Cecilia. So happy to hear that yours was delicious too. 🙂 x

10. KymO
    June 13, 2015 at 6:31 pm (2 years ago)

Wow! I just made this for dinner and it was AMAZING!!! I loved the fresh flavours and it was so simple to make. Thank you so much for the recipe.

• Vegan Sparkles
      June 14, 2015 at 4:51 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my pleasure, Kym! Aren’t Thai fresh flavours just the BEST?! I’m so happy to hear you loved it as much as I do! 🙂 x

11. Bharathi
    June 20, 2015 at 8:12 pm (2 years ago)

I attempted my first Laksa using your recipe & must say it was my family favorite! I loved making it from scratch & thoroughly enjoyed cooking it with our favorite veggies – eggplant;, okra & long beans. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Vegan Sparkles
      June 21, 2015 at 2:58 pm (2 years ago)

Oh, my pleasure, Bharathi! I’m so happy to hear that you and your family loved it. 🙂 x

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Easy Vegan Laksa