Oh my beautiful friend Gnocchi, how I’ve missed you!
Remember how much we crushed on this Spicy Tomato & Basil Gnocchi last winter? mmmmmmmmmmm…
Soooo delicious and comforting – not to mention ready faster than you can say where’s my other fluffy slipper?! Gnocchi is usually a sure-fire hit with everyone.
And just because I’m having so much fun with vegan ‘Goat cheese’ and my funky new tapas dishes this week, I decided an experiment of the pumpkin kind was in order!
If you have the time to make gnocchi from scratch, all the better. If not, a packet of store-bought gnocchi (checking the label to make sure it’s vegan), and you’ll be whipping up this incredibly simple and easy mid-week dinner in no time!
Pumpkin, Rocket & Vegan 'Goat Cheese' Gnocchi
- 2 cups chopped Pumpkin
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 1 Garlic clove peeled and chopped
- 1/3 small Red Chilli chopped (optional)
- 1/2 medium Brown Onion
- 2 cups Rocket leaves rinsed
- 500 g/17.6oz packet of Gnocchi check ingredients for vegan & gluten-free
Vegan ‘Goat Cheese’
- ½ cup raw Cashews
- ¼ cup raw Macadamias
- ¼ cup raw Pine Nuts or more Macadamias but the flavour is better with a mix
- ¼ cup filtered Water
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pinch Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- Pumpkin Seeds Pepitas
- Fresh Herbs chopped
- At least an hour or two before you are ready to make this (or overnight), pop the ‘Goat Cheese’ nuts into a large bowl of water and allow to soak.
- When you are ready to make this dish, drain nuts and combine all ‘Goat Cheese’ ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy and then transfer mixture to a small bowl or jar.
- Heat vegetable stock in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, chilli, onion and pumpkin, and simmer until pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly (for safety), and blend in batches until smooth and creamy.
- Return blended pumpkin sauce to the pot, season with sea salt and fresh black pepper, and place over low heat.
- In a second pot, bring 4 cups of water to the boil over high heat.
- Carefully add gnocchi (watch out for hot splashes!) and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes until gnocchi rises to the top.
- Remove gnocchi from heat, strain, and divide among plates or bowls.
- Remove sauce from heat and pour evenly over pasta.
- Garnish with 'Goat cheese', fresh herbs and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
SarahMay 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm (10 years ago)
This looks so good! Added to my ‘Must Make’ list.
Gabby @ the veggie nookMay 24, 2013 at 4:47 am (10 years ago)
Wow that is some serious comfort food! And it’s so pretty- I love the colours!
jan robertsMay 28, 2013 at 10:28 pm (10 years ago)
What is rocket?
* Vegan Sparkles *May 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm (10 years ago)
Ooh, apparently it’s known as Arugula in the US, Jan, if that helps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruca_sativa
AarahAugust 22, 2013 at 8:48 pm (10 years ago)
How do you make the gnocchi????
* Vegan Sparkles *August 23, 2013 at 8:23 am (10 years ago)
haha, stay tuned! 😉