bbbbbrrrrr, it’s freezing in Perth this week! I’m not at my sparkly best in the cold. Sunshine makes me sparkly. Running around in the cold makes me crave fast, comforting meals so I can get back to snuggling on the couch with
re-runs of Gossip Girl a good book, a block of chocolate and my favourite blanket.
It doesn’t get much faster, easier or more comforting than this. My favourite winter midweek meal – the one I rely on to make me feel better after a day of dysfunctional umbrellas and icy cold puddle splashes from passing cars. Hot, spicy, filling and ready to munch in less than ten minutes. Bliss.
For 2-3 serves:
- Gnocchi (my friend Kyllie makes incredible home-made pasta but if you’re not that talented, I hear ya! Us mere mortals can find pre-made gnocchi in the fridge or health food section of our local supermarket or wholefoods store. If you’re lucky like me, you will find one that is vegan and gluten-free. Fist pumping!)
- 1 jar of organic tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 3 handfuls mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handful English spinach leaves
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Pine nuts (to serve)
- Heat a large pot of water on high until boiling.
- In another large saucepan, sauté onions, garlic, chilli and mushrooms in a splash of oil until the onions are translucent. Add tomato sauce and leave to simmer.
- Add gnocchi to the pot of boiling water. Wait until it rises to the top (about 2 minutes), then drain and add cooked gnocchi to the tomato sauce pan.
- Stir gnocchi, spinach and basil through the sauce and season with Himalayan salt and cracked pepper (and nutritional yeast if you fancy a cheesy flavour).
- Serve topped with basil and pine nuts.
Enjoy with a glass of organic Shiraz and your favourite winter guilty pleasure… Anyone know when the next season of Gossip Girl is due to start??
22 Comments on Spicy Tomato & Basil Gnocchi
2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Spicy Tomato & Basil Gnocchi
[…] Die Anregung für mein heutiges Mittagessen habe ich mir mal wieder aus einem amerikanischen Blog geholt: https://vegansparkles.com/2012/07/10/tomato-chilli-and-basil-gnocchi/ […]
[…] of a Tart Vegetarian Pho by The Kitchn Quinoa Veggie “Fried Rice” by Damn Delicious Spicy Tomato & Basil Gnocchi by Vegan Sparkles Zucchini Bread by Smitten […]
Gabby @ the veggie nookJuly 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm (11 years ago)
Looks amazing, gnocchi is so delicious (doesn’t surpise me that I think so- I love potatoes so combine it with pasta and I’m there!).
I hope you warm up!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 11, 2012 at 8:45 am (11 years ago)
Thanks Gabby! The gnocchi definitely helped to make me feel toasty warm again. 🙂
Barb@ThatWasVeganJuly 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm (11 years ago)
Okay, ENOUGH! It’s 8:15 am here, you cannot have me craving gnocchi at this hour! What kind of monster are you??? 🙂
I second Gabby- hope it warms up for you soon!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 11, 2012 at 8:46 am (11 years ago)
haha, breakfast gnocchi… now there’s an idea….. 😉
DanelleJuly 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm (11 years ago)
I absolutely love gnocchi! 🙂 Where did you find the vegan gluten-free gnocchi? I’ve been on the hunt for gnocchi recently but haven’t been able to find anything vegan-friendly. I think it’d be fun to try make it from scratch sometime but it’d be great to have some in the pantry for a quick meal in the meantime. 🙂
* Vegan Sparkles *July 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm (11 years ago)
I found it in the health food aisle at Woolworths, Dani, of all places! I think Loose Produce in Como sell it too. I prefer the fresh pasta in the fridge section but haven’t been able to find a vegan one lately – happily the WW one is delish!
Ohhh, I’d love to make it from scratch sometime too! I still drool when I think about an amazing pumpkin gnocchi with sage butter I had at a restaurant once before I was vegan. I’ll have to attempt to create a vegan version sometime. 🙂
DanielleJuly 12, 2012 at 8:45 am (11 years ago)
Hmm… I’ll have to keep an eye out. I peeked in the health food section of my local Woolworths awhile ago, but unfortunately they aren’t particularly well stocked. I’m NOR but I have a friend who lives in Como, so I’ll have to locate Loose Produce next time I’m in the area!
I have a recipe for hand-made gnocchi with sage butter in one of my vegan cookbooks (there’s also one for hand-made pumpkin ravioli with sage butter); if you’re interested, I could send the recipe through to you, so you can experiment when you have the time. 🙂
* Vegan Sparkles *July 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm (11 years ago)
I would LOVE that! Thanks Dani!! mmmmmmm, I can taste it already…. 🙂
DanielleJuly 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm (11 years ago)
No problems! 🙂 Do you have an email address I can send it to? I don’t have a facebook account and I’m not sure how else to send it through!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 13, 2012 at 9:51 am (11 years ago)
I sure do! bex @ vegansparkles.com (without the spaces) 🙂
Reia@TheCrueltyFreeReviewJuly 12, 2012 at 3:09 am (11 years ago)
I don’t eat nearly enough gnocchi. This recipe should change that!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm (11 years ago)
haha, absolutely! Get into it, Reia! 🙂
Marissa Rath (@MarissaRath)July 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm (11 years ago)
Nom – I have been searching for a gnocchi recipe. I can’t wait to try this out. Thanks!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 16, 2012 at 9:54 am (11 years ago)
My pleasure, I hope you enjoy it and I am LOVING the sparkle background on your twitter page, Marissa! 🙂
NatJuly 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm (11 years ago)
I was planning on curling up and watching Gossip Girl tonight, I think this will make the night a sure fire win!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm (11 years ago)
haha, YAY, finally another Gossip Girl fan! Sounds like the perfect night in to me! 🙂
Robin Jean MarieJuly 16, 2012 at 10:40 pm (11 years ago)
That’s my kind of comfort food!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm (11 years ago)
mmmmmm, I might have to make it again tonight! 😉
Danny @ Boy & the RabbitJuly 25, 2012 at 12:06 am (11 years ago)
Gnocchi… my one true weakness 😉 But seriously, I can so easily picture this meal after a stressful winter day, curled up on the couch with a small bowl and a good book. Thanks for the inspiration!
* Vegan Sparkles *July 25, 2012 at 2:32 pm (11 years ago)
My pleasure! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 🙂