HELLO Green July! *cue glitter and streamers*
To celebrate the start of a very healthy, sparkly month, I decided to start and finish the day with green liquid! Genius, no? I just hope I don’t turn green. 😉
Last weekend some friends hosted a pizza party and made an incredibly simple and delicious vegan pizza – topped only with potato, rosemary and sea salt. I was too slow with the camera, but trust me, it was GOOD. So good that it got me to thinking about a potato-herby soup combo and hey pesto, here is the result!
For 3-4 servings:
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp vegan margarine
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable broth/stock
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 cups fresh Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Pine nuts
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, heat vegan margarine and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for a few minutes more, then add vegetable broth and simmer until potatoes are soft.
- In a blender or food processor, combine basil, EVOO, nutritional yeast, pine nuts and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Blend the potato soup in batches until smooth and return to the pan.
- Stir the pesto into the potato soup, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
It tastes even better the next day too, once the pesto flavours have spent more time infusing their green goodness.
Happy Green July, everyone! xx