Being vegan-healthy doesn’t mean missing out on all the good stuff, beautiful. Quite the opposite!
Join me on a journey from traditional old desserts laden with refined sugar, trans-fats, lactose, gluten, preservatives and cholesterol…
To sparkly Superfood Smoothies glittering with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fibre, and most importantly – scrumptious flavour!
The days of healthy food tasting bad are OVER, my friend. There’s a new Sheriff in town (and he’s delicious).
First stop on this Love Train? Behold… the Tiramisu Smoothie!
Heavenly Smoothie Tips
• Use organic, unsweetened coconut water instead of plain filtered water to add easy, low- GI sweetness – so you can use less actual sweetener and have less of an impact on your blood-sugar levels.
• Frozen bananas add icy-cold creaminess. Use very ripe bananas and peel and break them in half before freezing for easy single serve portions (and less work for your blender).
• Pre-soak nuts in a bowl or jar of water in the fridge overnight to aid digestion and make blending easier.
Sweetening the Deal:
• Low GI sweeteners provide a slow release of energy, efficiently fuelling you without the nasty highs and lows experienced with most commercial sugars.
• Medjool Dates have a GI of 55, taste like sweet caramel, and boast high levels of fibre, antioxidants, potassium, copper, magnesium, Vitamins A, B6, C and K, niacin, calcium and iron.
• Coconut Sugar has a GI of just 35, tastes like rich toffee, and is a rich source of Vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6, potassium, magnesium, zinc and iron.
• Although these sweet loves are much healthier than sugar, they should still be used sparingly. For super sparkly health, reach for the Green Juice every day and save the Dessert SuperSmoothies (like this one!) for special weekend treats.
- ½ cup espresso, cooled
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ½ frozen banana, peeled
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 1 tsp organic coconut sugar
- 2-3 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maca (optional)
- 1 tsp mesquite (optional)
- Pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup macadamias, presoaked overnight
- ½ cup coconut water
- Combine all Base ingredients in blender first. Blend on high-speed. Pour into glass.
- Rinse blender and macadamias. Blend Cream ingredients until smooth and creamy, and layer on top of Base layer in your glass. Enjoy!