goofing off on Pinterest doing serious stuff on the Internets the other day when LO AND BEHOLD, this gorgeous post from Smitten Kitchen jumped out and bit me!
Sweet Potato as a healthier and gluten-free bruschetta base? Genius!
I loved the sound of the topping Deb used (and vowed to try it ASAP) but since I’m very fond of both traditional Bruschetta and Roast Vegetable Salads (oh and party food!), I immediately set to work to use this brilliant base to build a heavenly combination of my favourite worlds…
*˛˚ღ •.˚✰˚*˚★。*˛˚ღ •.. ˚ ✰✰˚* ˚ ★。*˛˚ღ •.˚ ✰˚*˚★。
Absolutely bursting with sneaky Vitamins A, B6 and C as well as iron, potassium and manganese, you won’t believe the magic that roast sweet potato, fresh basil and balsamic glaze can create in your mouth until you try it for yourself.
If it helps, my lovebug took one mouthful and yelled: “I would pay for this in a restaurant!”
Glad we cleared that up then.
Go forth and wow your party guests, beautiful! I won’t tell them how easy it was to prepare. Promise.
Sweet Potato Bruschetta
- 1 large Sweet Potato scrubbed and cut into 1-inch thick 'coins' (unpeeled)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 Avocado peeled and chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh Basil leaves
- Balsamic Glaze
- Preheat oven to 230C/450F (or a little higher if your oven is not fan-forced).
- Grease a baking tray with oil and rub the potato coins in the oil, being sure to coat both sides. Lay coins flat on the tray in a single layer and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Roast potato coins, undisturbed, for 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully flip coins over - the undersides should be dark golden brown. If they're not, let them roast a little longer.
- Return to the oven and allow to roast for another 10 minutes or so - until the tops match the undersides.
- Meanwhile, combine onion, tomatoes and avocado in a bowl.
- When the potatoes are done, remove from oven and place onto serving plates.
- Top each coin with bruschetta salad mix and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, serve, and enjoy!