Wayyyy cooler than green eggs and ham…
When cooking vegan food for male carnivores, I’m finding that pasta is usually a hit. It’s tasty and filling enough that they don’t moan about the ‘weird mung bean food’ or missing meat.
The last time my brother-in-law came to visit, I made Tomato, Chilli & Basil Gnocchi which was so popular, I felt inspired to try another pasta dish. This spaghetti was incredibly simple to make and was so delicious, it had the guys crying into their pasta bowls that I hadn’t made more! Success! I may convert them yet… 😉
To make 3 servings:
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 cups fresh Basil leaves
- 3 tbsp Pine nuts
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 packet Spaghetti (gluten-free if preferred)
- 3 handfuls of green vegetables (eg: zucchini, snow peas)
- Blend the oil, nutritional yeast, garlic, basil leaves, lemon juice and pine nuts in a food processor until smooth.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling water as per packet instructions.
- In a large saucepan, gently cook the chopped green vegetables over low heat until softened.
- Add the pesto mix and the cooked, drained spaghetti to the saucepan.
- Stir through until the spaghetti is coated in pesto and heated through. Season with salt & pepper.