Remember that time I made a Banana Bread Smoothie? That oh-so-heavenly creation – healthy enough to drink every day – and delicious enough to elicit a raised eyebrow from your Lovebug who won’t believe you haven’t poured cake batter straight into a glass…
This was just like that time. Because let’s face it, we’d all be drinking cake batter straight from the bowl every day if our skinny jeans would let us.
Next stop on this Love Train? Behold… the Apple Pie Smoothie! TOOT TOOT!
Heavenly Smoothie Tips
• Use organic, unsweetened coconut water instead of plain filtered water to add easy, low- GI sweetness – so you can use less actual sweetener and have less of an impact on your blood-sugar levels.
• Frozen bananas add icy-cold creaminess. Use very ripe bananas and peel and break them in half before freezing for easy single serve portions (and less work for your blender).
• Pre-soak nuts in a bowl or jar of water in the fridge overnight to aid digestion and make blending easier.
Sweetening the Deal:
• Low GI sweeteners provide a slow release of energy, efficiently fuelling you without the nasty highs and lows experienced with most commercial sugars.
• Medjool Dates have a GI of 55, taste like sweet caramel, and boast high levels of fibre, antioxidants, potassium, copper, magnesium, Vitamins A, B6, C and K, niacin, calcium and iron.
• Coconut Sugar has a GI of just 35, tastes like rich toffee, and is a rich source of Vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6, potassium, magnesium, zinc and iron.
• Although these sweet loves are much healthier than sugar, they should still be used sparingly. For super sparkly health, reach for the Green Juice every day and save the Dessert SuperSmoothies (like this one!) for special weekend treats.
Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup stewed organic apples or organic applesauce
- 2 medjool dates pitted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lucuma optional
- Pinch sea salt
- Handful of ice
- Combine all ingredients in blender, and blend on high speed until smooth. Enjoy!