You know, I was never even all that excited by Nutella before I went vegan. Crazy, huh?
Now I’m all up in the kitchen flipping ‘Nutella’ & Banana Parisian Crêpes, swirling Raw ‘Nutella’ Cream Pies and whizzing up this latest creation – the insanely tasty and healthy Choc Hazelnut ‘Nutella’ Smoothie!
You can blend the hazelnuts up straight from the packet, but the flavour is so much richer if you roast them first. We’re talking liquid-Nutella/Ferrero-Rocher richer. Ohhh now that is ten minutes you will not regret, my friend.
If you can find skinned/blanched hazelnuts, you’ll save yourself the trouble (and mess!) of having to remove the skins yourself. Just pop them straight into the oven for 10 minutes, then remove and set aside to cool. If you can only find hazelnuts with skins intact, just follow the directions below and you’ll be sipping on this treat in no time.
Healthy Choc Hazelnut 'Nutella' Smoothie
- 3/4 cup coconut water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup roasted skinned hazelnuts (see instructions below)
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 Medjool dates pitted
- 1 frozen banana peeled
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 handful Ice
- Raw cacao nibs
- Extra hazelnuts
- Preferably the night before, roast hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking tray at 180C/350F for about 10 minutes until toasted and aromatic and the skins turn a couple of shades darker.
- Remove from oven and while the hazelnuts are still warm, rub between a towel or paper towel or your fingers to remove the skins. Aim to remove at least 70% of the skins (which can be quite bitter). If there are some stubborn ones, you can pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes and try again.
- Let the hazelnuts cool completely – preferably overnight – or they will not blend as finely as they should (and will be harder work for your blender).
- Place all ingredients into blender, liquids first.
- Blend on low speed, then high, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses, decorate, and enjoy! x