I must admit, I do like the commercially canned and pre-made baked beans, but my skinny jeans and I are not fans of the high sugar content often found in even the organic varieties.
I would make them myself but I’m usually too busy
cleaning up the mess I’ve made blending with my Vitamix in the mornings, so I get really excited when I go out to brunch and the restaurant or café can pull off an impressive home-made beans.
Or when my lovebug spontaneously offers to cook brunch and whips up this easy, healthy, super fast, bean recipe!
Beans are packed with protein, iron, B vitamins and fibre, and using teeny tomatoes in this recipe sweetens the deal without any need for additional sweeteners (or bigger jeans).
Hurray for lovebugs saving the day! xx
Easy, Healthy, Home-Made Baked Beans
- Splash of coconut oil optional
- 1 small brown onion peeled and diced
- 1 cup crushed or sieved tomatoes from a jar
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup semi-dried tomatoes or more cherry tomatoes
- 400 g/14oz can Borlotti beans or your favourite beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried cayenne pepper
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Heat oil (or a splash of water) in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes to release their sweetness.
- Add beans, herbs and spices and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Serve on toast or fresh crusty bread, and enjoy!