Once upon a time I thought that tofu was nothing more than little white squares of tastelessness thrown into vegetable dishes just to bulk them up.
Thankfully some very creative local fusion restaurants showed me the error of my ways and I came to learn how versatile it is. Throw on some fresh spices, sear it for a few minutes each side, and hey presto – it’s the star of the show!
We went out for dinner for my Lovebug’s Dad’s Birthday the other night and they served his asparagus spears standing upright in a little teepee shape! Über adorable!
I tried to re-enact it here but the asparagus didn’t want to play. Never mind. Party Poopers aside – the spicy tofu steaks, tangy herb dressing and fresh, crunchy (if somewhat disobedient) greens combined to create a delicious meal – in less than 30 minutes! High five, tofu!
This Coriander Cream was inspired by Snacking on Sunshine’s Coconut-Cilantro Dressing partly because I lurrrrve coriander/cilantro and partly because I adore Stephanie’s blog and think her blog’s name is the cutest ever.
Enjoy, glitterbugs! xx
Pan-Fried Tofu Steaks with Coriander Cream & Asparagus Spears
- 1 small packet organic, non-GMO Extra-Firm Tofu, cut in half lengthways and sideways to make 4 'steaks'
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves and stems washed and coarsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Raw Macadamia Nuts or pine nuts
- 3 tsp crushed Ginger
- 3 tsp crushed Garlic
- 1 Red Chilli chopped
- 6 Asparagus spears chopped in half
- 1 small Broccoli head chopped into small 'trees'
- 1 Lemon
- 4 Spring Onions chopped
- 3 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oil coconut or sesame
- The night before (or as early as possible), soak macadamias in a bowl of water in the fridge (you can skip this step if you have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix).
- Add coriander, drained macadamia nuts, 1tsp ginger, 1tsp garlic, 1/2 cup water, juice from half the lemon, and 2 spring onions to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Season with cracked black pepper and sea salt.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat and add 2tsp garlic, 2tsp ginger, red chilli and tamari.
- Add tofu steaks to the centre of the pan, and broccoli and asparagus around the outside edges of the pan.
- Sear tofu for a few minutes on one side, whilst turning the greens regularly.
- Flip the tofu steaks and sear on the other side for a few minutes, whilst again turning the greens regularly.
- On plates, top tofu steaks with coriander cream and greens. Sprinkle with remaining spring onions, and serve with remaining lemon wedges and turmeric rice.
- Enjoy! xx