Ok, it’s official. I have a brunch addiction. How good is weekend brunch, though? So mellow, sitting in the sunshine, with nowhere to be and not a rush in sight. It’s the only time it’s perfectly acceptable to eat sweet treats as a main meal, plus it’s usually two meals rolled into one which means only one set of dishes to do. Win!
I’ve had a craving for banana bread for a while but I’m not much of a baker and thought it would be too hard. Turns out it’s actually incredibly easy and there’s the added bonus of being able to lick the
bowl spoon while it’s baking, and you better believe this batter tastes good.
I was inspired by this fab recipe from Post Punk Kitchen but made a few changes based on the ingredients I already had at home:
Toasted Banana Bread with Passionfruit Butter
- 3/4 cup Agave Nectar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups plain flour I used a gluten-free all purposes flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla or the seeds from half a pod
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 175C / 350F.
- Spray a 4x8 inch bread pan with non stick cooking spray or lightly coat with margarine.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Cream together the margarine, melted coconut oil and agave.
- Add bananas, almond milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix well. Pour batter into pan. Bake for an hour.
Always one to take things too far, I decided a one-fruit brunch wasn’t enough. I am crazy about passionfruit. If I had to choose only one food to eat for the rest of my days, passionfruit would be it, and I’m not even kidding. This ‘butter’ was a cinch to make and not only made my house smell divine, but tasted incredible. I have a feeling I will be making it into some sort of dessert very, very soon. Ohhh yes. Oh yes I will.
Vegan Passionfruit 'Butter'
- 1 cup passionfruit pulp
- 1 tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine or more if you like it more buttery
- Add the passionfruit, lemon and Agave to a small saucepan and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated - about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the margarine until dissolved.
- Pour into an airtight container or jar and place in the fridge to set.
- Toast a slice of banana bread under the grill and then spread it with the cool, tangy deliciousness that is passionfruit butter, mmmmm. If you can stop at just one slice, you have more self-control than me. 🙂