It’s Friday, WHOOHOO!!
We want a little something special to celebrate the start of the weekend, YAY!
But we’re too pooped to make it, BOO!
Before you reach for that take-away menu full of sodium (bloating!), MSG (headaches) and other nasties (yuck), how about a super fast, super delicious dinner that won’t push your health kick off-track?
This one’s so easy, you don’t even need to measure. Adjust quantities to suit your tastes and appetite, and add anything else you feel like – jalapenos, capsicum, sweet corn, mushrooms, guacamole, quinoa, brown rice, coriander/cilantro, etc.
Go crazy! It’s Friday!
P.S. Yes I am addicted to sweet potato and Mexican food. An intervention is imminent. Until then, it’s fiesta time, baby!
Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Bowl
- Coconut or Olive Oil
- Sweet Potato scrubbed and chopped into 1-inch thick rough cubes (peeled or unpeeled are both fine).
- Canned Kidney Beans or Black Beans drained and rinsed
- Mexican Chilli Powder or a blend of paprika, cayenne, oregano & pepper
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Spring Onions
Macadamia Sour Cream
- 1 cup Macadamia Nuts pre-soaked in a bowl of water in the fridge overnight and drained
- 1/2 cup filtered Water
- A good squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F (or a little higher if your oven is not fan-forced).
- Grease a baking tray with oil and rub the potato cubes in the oil, being sure to coat all sides. Lay cubes flat on the tray in a single layer and season with sea salt and Mexican Chilli Powder.
- Roast potato, undisturbed, for 15 to 20 minutes – the undersides should be dark golden brown.
- Remove from oven, flip cubes over and return to roast for another 10 minutes or so – until dark golden brown all over.
- Meanwhile, make Macadamia Sour Cream by blending all ingredients on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Chop Avocado, Cherry Tomatoes and Spring Onion.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat beans over low heat.
- When potatoes are golden brown all over, remove from oven and layer in a bowl, topping with heated beans, sour cream, salsa, avocado, cherry tomatoes, and finishing with the spring onion.
- Sprinkle a little more Mexican Chilli Powder on top and enjoy!