I have a confession to make.
I generally steer clear of refined sugar and strong cocktails these days, but inspiration for this smoothie recipe came from both.
Lovebug and I were blessed to be in Melbourne recently celebrating his birthday, and indulged in our first visit to The Lui Bar. At 55 floors up (or 236 metres above sea level), with beautiful live Jazz music and stunning views, it was hard to be anything but inspired.
Beautiful, isn’t it! At one point we thought we could see Tasmania!
But then we checked Google Maps and realised it was just the bottom of Victoria. Oops. Blame the cocktail.
Oh yes, Cocktail Hour is pretty special up there, my friend, and the hand-crafted Macadamia Martini is served with a side of smashed Lemon Macadamia Praline.
On a silver tray, no less!
Ohhh you betcha I was wishing I’d worn my Gatsby-inspired pearls from Banana Republic.
But wait – Lemon and Macadamia toffee? It intrigued me enough to try it despite the massive sugar content and ohhhhh my goodness, HELLO creamy, sweet and tangy flavour sensation! Each element is delicate enough not to overpower the other two and they compliment each other perfectly.
I knew I had to convert it into a healthy recipe for you, pronto.
The best part about using nuts as the base for smoothies is that you can add citrus without worry about it splitting. Have fun with this one and experiment with different levels of lemon juice. I started off very slowly and loved it, then added a lot more and danced around the apartment with it!
Creamy, sweet, delicate and tangy, it’s the perfect way out of a smoothie flavour rut.
- ½ cup Macadamias pre-soaked in a bowl or jar of water in the fridge overnight (or at least a few hours)
- 1 peeled, frozen Banana
- 1 cup Coconut Water (or filtered water)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 good squeezes of fresh Lemon Juice (I used half a medium-sized lemon but you can adjust this to suit your taste)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 Medjool Dates, pitted
- 2 handfuls Ice
- Ground Cinnamon & Lemon zest (optional)
- Drain Macadamias.
- Pop all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!