Now, hold up there, speed racer!
Before you screw your nose up and exclaim: “Brussel sprouts? Ewwww!“, just hear me out.
These are not the old, soggy, boiled-to-within-an-inch-of-their-existence brussel sprouts that you remember from the days when you barely managed to force them down your throat (or if you were smart, dropped them under the table for the dog to eat) so that your parents would let you have dessert afterwards.
Ohhhh no, my friend.
Brussel sprouts are BACK and this time they’re comin’ at ya’ fresher, crunchier, and sassier!
Really just mini cabbages, raw brussel sprouts make a gorgeously sophisticated coleslaw, especially when teamed with walnuts and a tangy dressing.
But the most fun part is taking a big bowl of this to a party/BBQ/potluck and letting your friends and family try it before you tell them what it is.
POOF! Like magic, all of their long-held childhood emotional scars and prejudice against this cute little green vegetable will disappear before your very eyes, and they’ll be begging for seconds.
- 25 (or so) Brussel Sprouts
- 1 cup Walnuts, whole
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Sea Salt & Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Toast walnuts in a dry, heavy pan or skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until fragrant and just beginning to colour. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Wash the brussel sprouts and trim away their bases. Gently separate the layers of the leaves and discard any discoloured outer leaves and the hard cores.
- Place leaves in a bowl and add walnuts.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, then lemon juice and olive oil.
- Toss until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!