Now, hold up there, speed racer!
Before you screw your nose up and exclaim: “Brussel sprouts? Ewwww!“, just hear me out.
These are not the old, soggy, boiled-to-within-an-inch-of-their-existence brussel sprouts that you remember from the days when you barely managed to force them down your throat (or if you were smart, dropped them under the table for the dog to eat) so that your parents would let you have dessert afterwards.
Ohhhh no, my friend.
Brussel sprouts are BACK and this time they’re comin’ at ya’ fresher, crunchier, and sassier!
Really just mini cabbages, raw brussel sprouts make a gorgeously sophisticated coleslaw, especially when teamed with walnuts and a tangy dressing.
But the most fun part is taking a big bowl of this to a party/BBQ/potluck and letting your friends and family try it before you tell them what it is.
POOF! Like magic, all of their long-held childhood emotional scars and prejudice against this cute little green vegetable will disappear before your very eyes, and they’ll be begging for seconds.
Brussel Sprout Slaw
- 25 or so Brussel Sprouts
- 1 cup Walnuts whole
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Sea Salt & Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Toast walnuts in a dry, heavy pan or skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until fragrant and just beginning to colour. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Wash the brussel sprouts and trim away their bases. Gently separate the layers of the leaves and discard any discoloured outer leaves and the hard cores.
- Place leaves in a bowl and add walnuts.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, then lemon juice and olive oil.
- Toss until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sophie33April 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm (10 years ago)
A very unusual Brussels sprouts salad, that is semi-raw! It looks & sounds amazing too! MMMMMMMMMMMM!
* Vegan Sparkles *April 14, 2013 at 3:25 pm (10 years ago)
Give it a try, Sophie – it’s delicious and so much fun to eat. 🙂
MarianApril 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm (10 years ago)
What a very clever idea. I’m not too keen on them boiled. Tks
* Vegan Sparkles *April 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm (10 years ago)
hehe, you and me both, Marian! They are soooo much yummier raw. 🙂
luminousvegansApril 13, 2013 at 1:56 am (10 years ago)
I would never say ew to brussels sprouts. They are my favorite and I love eating them raw. This looks so good!
* Vegan Sparkles *April 14, 2013 at 3:27 pm (10 years ago)
haha, this salad is made for you, then! Enjoy! 🙂 x
tinkerbelle86April 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm (10 years ago)
this looks delicious! I absolutely adore brussel sprouts, no one else seems to like them!
* Vegan Sparkles *April 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm (10 years ago)
More for you then, Laura, YAY! 😉
Gabby @ the veggie nookApril 15, 2013 at 12:44 am (10 years ago)
This recipe is SO up my alley! I love them brussel sprouts 🙂 and look forward to them as much as you do!
* Vegan Sparkles *April 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm (10 years ago)
haha, good stuff, Gabby! They’re just misunderstood is all. 🙂
LifeOfBunApril 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm (10 years ago)
I would’ve never thought of making a brussel sprout salad, that looks great!!! Especially because it’s getting warm over here, yay! Salads are th ebest in warm weather aren’t they? I just can’t eat a heavy meal then.
* Vegan Sparkles *April 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm (10 years ago)
Absolutely! And it’s good to have a variety of salad tricks up your sleeve. 🙂