Oh how I love Winter Friday Night Pizza Experiments!
When I read this post by Lindsay Is Vegan and saw what she was doing with Chana Masala appetisers, I got pretty excited! Serving Indian curry on bread! YES! Genius!
I’ve always loved this Chana Masala recipe by The Copycat Cook, and thought it’d make the perfect pizza topper!
I altered the recipe to make it spicier and creamier for pizza, but it’s still just as easy (and delicious!):
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced
- mango chutney
- 2 small or 1 large pizza base (or make your own)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- In a large saucepan, sauté half of the onion in oil until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spices to the onions and fully coat them. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from the stove. Season with salt & pepper. Allow to cool a little.
- Top pizza bases with the Chana Masala mixture, capsicum and remaining onion and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Serve pizza topped with mango swirls and coriander. Enjoy!
I’m munching on the leftovers as I type this and it’s just as tasty the next day. hehe, nom.