Ooh yes, I’ve mentioned before how blessed I am to be in love with a man who can whip up an incredible risotto at a moment’s notice and I figured Vegan Mofo was the perfect time for him to show us what he’s got!
Don’t believe the rumours. Risotto is not difficult or scary to make, and if you love root vegetables like I do, you’ll love my lovebug’s recipe. The earthiness of the beets combined with the freshness of the basil and the sweetness of the potato make for a killer combo and an impressive dish any day of the week. Meal Planner and pretty pens optional. xx
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 cup peeled & diced beetroot
- 1½ cups peeled & diced sweet potato
- ⅓ cup arborio rice
- 2½ - 3 cups vegetable broth/stock
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, dried oregano & thyme, sea salt & cracked pepper and sauté until onions are soft.
- Add beetroot and sweet potato and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add rice, and stir through for 2 minutes.
- Add ⅓ cup of stock at a time, stirring through each time until well absorbed before adding more.
- When the rice is almost cooked, add fresh basil, then continue stirring until rice is cooked, adding more stock if dish becomes too dry (you want it to remain quite saucy).
- Serve hot, topped with fresh basil.