I’m not sure why gluten-free toasted muesli is so crazily expensive but when my favourite brand reached $14 a box recently (say whaaaat!), I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands.
Turns out it’s so easy and fun (and cheaper and better for the environment) to make your own, you’ll never buy store-bought again. * Thrifty high-fives! *
Just remember to add your favourite dried fruit after the toasting process (a rookie mistake I should have seen coming… oh well, a couple of airing days later and the kitchen has almost lost its smokey aroma).
No need to measure the dry ingredients – just toss in enough of your favourites to fill a large jar.
Have fun. Be creative. Get the munchkins involved.
And if you’re feeling super thrifty, you could even take your own containers and fill them up with ingredients from the bulk bins in health food stores.
$14 a box??!! I don’t think so, Joe.
- Puffed Rice
- Flaked Almonds
- Whole Almonds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Coconut Shavings
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Dried Apricots, chopped
- Raw Cacao Nibs
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are well coated.
- Pour onto a lined baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until gently toasted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Add dried fruit and cacao nibs and pour into an air-tight jar, ready to brighten up your mornings!