Oooh it’s been a bit tough at Vegan Sparkles HQ this week.
Together with my gorgeous friends Emily from Olive on Blonde, Claire from This is Lifeblood and Tahnee from Eclectori, I’ve agreed to take up the ‘Dry July‘ challenge, which means – yep, you guessed it – no vino or bubbles for 3o days! *gulp*
So if Fridays no longer entail a couple of sneaky glasses of sparkles, what’s a girl to do?
My plan is great food, a DVD, scented candles, snuggles on the couch, herbal tea, a long and blissful sleep, and the promise of a healthy chocolate smoothie in the morning. Not so bad, right?
And so I bring you the second recipe in the ‘Fast Fridays’ series – Tempeh Veg Skewers with Party Rice!
Faster and a whole lot healthier than take-away (and without the sodium, MSG and other yuckies), these recipes are so easy, you don’t even need to measure.
Adjust quantities to suit your tastes and appetite, and add anything else you feel like – jalapenos, sweet corn, guacamole, hummus, quinoa, coriander/cilantro, etc.
Go crazy! It’s Friday!
A quick visit to your local shop/market on Friday lunchtime or Thursday night and you’ll have these goodies on your lap in front of a good DVD in no time.
Leg warmers optional. (I’m so doing leg warmers. And glitter. Just so you know.)
- Tempeh/Extra Firm Tofu
- Your fave veggies to grill - think Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes, Capsicum/Peppers, Squash, Zucchini/Courgette, etc
- Brown Rice (or Quinoa)
- Fun 'Party Rice' additions - think Avocado, Sundried Tomatoes, Spring Onion, fresh Parsley leaves, Sesame Seeds, etc
- 1 tsp Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp Red Chilli, crushed
- 4 tbsp Tamari Sauce (or Soy Sauce if gluten is not an issue)
- 2 tbsp fresh Lime Juice
- Rinse rice, place in a saucepan with twice as much filtered water and a pinch of salt and simmer until rice absorbs all of the water (about 20 mins or so).
- Meanwhile, combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Skewer veggies and tempeh onto sticks and lay in a single layer on a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle half the marinade over skewers and place them under a grill (or onto a BBQ) on medium heat until they just start to brown (just a few minutes).
- Flip skewers over, drizzle with remaining marinade, and grill until golden brown.
- Add 'Party Rice' ingredients to the pot of cooked rice and mix well.
- Serve skewers with party rice, season with cracked black pepper and sea salt, and enjoy!