Did I ever tell you that I went on a weekend-long yoga retreat at Samudra last year?
Or that we made incredible raw chocolate while we were there?
Ohhhhh yeahhhhh, we did…
Did I ever tell you how easy it is to make your own raw chocolate at home?
Well pull up a chair, beautiful! It’s about to get a whole lot sweeter around here!
Skip down to your local, friendly health food shop and ask them for raw cacao butter, raw cacao powder and your favourite liquid sweetener.
Skip back home and make your own delicious raw chocolate in any flavour you like in less than ten minutes! Think almond butter, crushed nuts, pepitas, goji berries, dried blueberries, cherries, figs, spirulina, vanilla beans, peppermint essence, maca, lucuma, mesquite, mmmmm… so many choices!
Why Raw Chocolate?
Besides the obvious (yummm!) it’s jam-packed with antioxidants, magnesium and bliss nutrients that can help keep you energised, healthy and happy. Pass the spoon!
Now I’ve tried making raw chocolate with coconut oil (instead of cacao butter) before and to me it’s just not the same. Coconut butter would probably work better but if you can get your paws on some cacao butter, you’ll be rewarded with the truly decadent, creamy, smooth texture that great quality chocolate brings.
The mood struck me for coconut yesterday so I whipped up this batch at home just so I could show you.
It’s a tough job.
- ½ cup finely chopped raw cacao butter
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 3 - 4 tbsp organic agave/maple syrup/coconut nectar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla essence
- Pinch sea salt
- Flavouring of choice - I used 5 tbsp organic shredded coconut
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, very gently heat cacao butter and coconut oil until just melted.
- Remove from heat immediately and stir in all other ingredients until well combined.
- Pour into moulds/patty pans or onto a plate lined with greaseproof paper.
- Pop into the fridge or freezer to set for ten minutes or so, then enjoy!