Oooh, I remember when there wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t eat cheese. I’d suffer from tummy pains, eczema, and wobbly bits on my body where I didn’t want them, but still I wouldn’t step away from the cheese. Thankfully I finally got savvy, but I do miss the fun of cheese sometimes.
I’m not brave enough to attempt making one of those complicated cultured vegan cheeses yet (one day!), but thankfully this one is a cinch to make and still made me feel all clever in manner of Professional Cheesemaker.
It doesn’t taste like the creamy, Danish feta I once loved but it does taste like the traditional hard, crumbly feta in brine. Sprinkle it with balsamic vinegar and wait for the magic to happen! ✬.*`*✳.*`*✬
Inspired by a recipe printed in VegNews magazine and lots of feta-fun cravings.
- 1 small packet of Extra-Firm Tofu (organic & non-GMO) – drained and cut into cubes
- 2 cups Water
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place tofu and brine into an air-tight container in the fridge overnight. The longer you leave it, the better it gets.
- Drain immediately before use. Any unused portions can stay refrigerated in the brine for up to 2 weeks.
Enjoy it on salad like this Roast Veg, Quinoa & Dukkah Salad:
Thread it onto bamboo sticks to make the ultimate, party-ready Greek Salad Skewers:
Bake it in Lemon, Feta & Basil Stuffed Mushrooms:
Or toss it into sandwiches, wraps, pasta or platters. So much fun! So versatile! απολαύσετε! ♥