Vegan MoFo Grilled Zucchini Ribbon & Toasted Almond SaladOctober 11th, 2012 13 comments
I had a Shrek-sized craving for green food tonight.
Maybe it’s because I attended Perth Green Drinks last night to hear the Mayors of Perth and Fremantle talk about sustainability plans for our city.
Exciting stuff! I even wore a green-ish, sparkly top and sparkly eyeshadow for the event.
AND I caught the train there. I think they may have talked me into buying a second-hand bicycle too, with a cute basket on the front and a shiny, silver bell…
Or maybe it was because my Mum’s strawberry cupcakes are coming up next on the Vegan Sparkles Vegan MoFo schedule…
Whatever the reason, I got jiggy with the green stuff again and it was a huge, Shrek-sized success! This is a definite winner to rock up to BBQs with all summer long.
As a main dish, per person:
- 1 small handful raw almonds
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 lemon/lime, juiced
- Olive or coconut oil
- Sea salt & cracked pepper
- In a large frypan/skillet/BBQ plate, gently toast almonds by moving them around the hot plate until they are aromatic. Remove from heat and place aside.
- Thinly slice zucchini and place ribbons in a bowl (I used a vegetable peeler to make extra thin ribbons but it would be just as lovely cut with a knife, especially if you are using a BBQ grill). Toss zucchini in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill zucchini in frypan/skillet/BBQ plate in batches and place aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini in lemon juice, mustard and parsley.
- Serve topped with toasted almonds.
Fast, fresh and so simple! See you tomorrow for a dessert of strawberry cupcakes! xx