Broccoli & Pine Nut QuicheAugust 24th, 2012 22 comments
My Mum’s name is Lorraine. When I was younger I couldn’t understand why people were always naming their egg pies after her.
Now that I’m wise and mature (*ahem*), I understand so much more. Like how cool it is that tofu can masquerade as egg! Smart tofu!
When my newly vegan friend told me that he missed eating quiche, I knew what I had to do. This was a cinch to make and had the lovely fluffiness of a good quiche. It even received a couple of compliments about its delicious aroma from Omni friends the next day when I re-heated the leftovers. Success! Lorraine would be so proud.
Inspired by Vegangela’s Versatile Vegan Quiche Recipe. Broccoli was just the mood I was feeling that day. I’m thinking mushroom and sun-dried tomato need to get involved next time.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small head of broccoli (washed, chopped and stalk discarded)
- 2 spring onions (washed and chopped)
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 cup soy cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for an hour and drained
- 1 block firm tofu
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 sheet defrosted puff pastry or vegan pie crust
- Pre heat oven to 190C/375F.
- Heat oil over medium heat, and sauté onions and garlic until translucent – about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook until tender. Remove pan from heat.
- In a blender, blend cashews, tofu, nutritional yeast, turmeric and paprika until creamy (add more water if needed).
- Pour tofu mixture into broccoli mixture and stir until well combined. Add soy cheese (optional). Season with salt & pepper.
- If using puff pastry, press pastry sheet into a pie plate or other oven-safe dish.
- Pour tofu mixture into pastry dish and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with spring onions and pine nuts.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.