Quinoa & Mushroom Gravy Shepherd’s PieAugust 14th, 2012 29 comments
If winter threw a party and invited all the comfort foods, Shepherd’s Pie would be on the VIP list and Quinoa would be left shivering in the queue outside all night.
But what if Shepherd’s Pie wrapped Quinoa up in his big, fluffy, mashy coat and brought her along as his date? Dressed in a peppercorn and mushroom gravy dress, suddenly she’d be all voluptuous and soothing whilst still retaining her healthy, low-fat, high-protein body underneath. Stealth moves, baby!
Here’s how to get Quinoa past the bouncers at your place. Saucy splashes optional.
- 1 cup quinoa (I used red), rinsed
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g mushrooms, sliced (I used swiss brown)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 1 large handful green beans, trimmed and chopped into 2cm long pieces
- Puff Pastry (just check ingredients to make sure it’s vegan)
- 2-4 tbsp gravy powder (I used Gravox)
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock/broth
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- In a large pot, sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 – 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat, add 3 cups vegetable stock and allow to simmer for 30 minutes (to intensify the mushroom flavour).
- In a second saucepan, bring several cups of water to the boil. Add potatoes and simmer until potatoes are soft. Drain water and mash potatoes, adding a little vegan margarine and salt & pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 190C.
- Add quinoa, carrots and beans to the mushroom pot and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring often. If the mixture becomes too dry, add more vegetable stock.
- Add gravy powder to the quinoa mixture a little at a time and stir until it reaches desired consistency. Season with salt & lots of cracked pepper.
- Press pastry into a greased baking tin and fill with the quinoa mixture. Top with mashed potato and a spray of oil (optional).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the potato peaks are a lovely golden colour.