Think strawberries and cream are reserved for Wimbledon, darling? Not anymore! How’s this for delicious decadence so easy and healthy you can enjoy it every day?
Forget oats. Quinoa is the crème de la crème of the grain/seed families. High in complete protein, it contains all nine essential amino acids and is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. Quinoa also features a host of other health-building nutrients including manganese, magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous, and best of all, it’s gluten-free!
Add strawberries and cashew cream and you’ve got a breakfast guaranteed to light up your morning and get your sparkle on!
For 3-4 serves:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 small punnets strawberries, rinsed, topped and sliced
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in a bowl of water overnight (or for at least one hour)
- In a pot, bring quinoa and 2 cups of water to the boil and then simmer until all the water is absorbed – about 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot, heat strawberries, agave nectar and cinnamon over medium heat until strawberries are soft and syrupy – about 10 minutes.
- Rinse the cashews and add them to a blender with enough water to cover them by 1cm. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Fold cooked quinoa into the strawberry pot. Add half of the cashew cream and mix well. Add more cream to taste.
- Enjoy on a sunny lawn in your poshest pyjamas!
Fun fact: Serena Williams won Wimbledon 2012 on a vegan diet. Vegan champions FTW!
Game, set and match.