bbbbbrrrrr, it’s freezing in Perth this week! I’m not at my sparkly best in the cold. Sunshine makes me sparkly. Running around in the cold makes me crave fast, comforting meals so I can get back to snuggling on the couch with
re-runs of Gossip Girl a good book, a block of chocolate and my favourite blanket.
It doesn’t get much faster, easier or more comforting than this. My favourite winter midweek meal – the one I rely on to make me feel better after a day of dysfunctional umbrellas and icy cold puddle splashes from passing cars. Hot, spicy, filling and ready to munch in less than ten minutes. Bliss.
For 2-3 serves:
- Gnocchi (my friend Kyllie makes incredible home-made pasta but if you’re not that talented, I hear ya! Us mere mortals can find pre-made gnocchi in the fridge or health food section of our local supermarket or wholefoods store. If you’re lucky like me, you will find one that is vegan and gluten-free. Fist pumping!)
- 1 jar of organic tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 3 handfuls mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handful English spinach leaves
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Pine nuts (to serve)
- Heat a large pot of water on high until boiling.
- In another large saucepan, sauté onions, garlic, chilli and mushrooms in a splash of oil until the onions are translucent. Add tomato sauce and leave to simmer.
- Add gnocchi to the pot of boiling water. Wait until it rises to the top (about 2 minutes), then drain and add cooked gnocchi to the tomato sauce pan.
- Stir gnocchi, spinach and basil through the sauce and season with Himalayan salt and cracked pepper (and nutritional yeast if you fancy a cheesy flavour).
- Serve topped with basil and pine nuts.
Enjoy with a glass of organic Shiraz and your favourite winter guilty pleasure… Anyone know when the next season of Gossip Girl is due to start??