Did you think vegan creamy soups couldn’t get any better than Pistachio Cream of Broccoli Soup? Me too! Oh, we were both so very, very wrong. I finally perfected the quantities for this soup (making much mess along the way) and it was so worth it! It is incredible! Seriously. And my Year 10 Home Economics teacher told me I’d better marry well so I could hire a personal chef. Hmph. If only she could see me now… 😉
This recipe makes enough for two large servings but if you’re wise you’ll make a double batch. It smells so amazing during all that bubbling and infusing time that your neighbours are sure to drop in ‘just to say hi’ and you don’t want to be the meanie who keeps all the delicious vegan food to themselves now, do you? Of course not.
- 450g / 1lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used a mix of Portobello, swiss brown, and button mushrooms)
- ½ small brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 4 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Place cashews in a bowl of water and leave to soak.
- In a large pot, sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 - 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the vegetable broth. Cover and allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Drain and rinse cashews and add them to a blender with half a cup of water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cashew cream and dried herbs to the soup pot, stirring well to combine. Allow to simmer for another 20 - 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve with crusty bread, and prepare for a flavour sensation.
Guaranteed to bring all the boys to your yard.